Lantern Festival Orchestra 2024: Calling All String Players!
Presented by Pacific Symphony, the Lantern Festival Orchestra will bring together student and avocational adult string players from throughout the region to perform under the direction of Pacific Symphony Assistant Conductor, Dr. Jacob Sustaita, on the stage of the Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall for the 2024 O.C. Lantern Festival.
Professional musicians from Pacific Symphony will join the orchestra for the dress rehearsal and performance and will also provide sectional coaching for ensemble members. The ensemble will perform a mix of Western and Eastern repertoire for string orchestra. The Lantern Festival Orchestra will rehearse on select weekday evenings from the weeks of January 22 – March 1 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at the South Coast Chinese Cultural Center. The Festival Orchestra will present a 20-minute performance at the 2024 O.C. Lantern Festival.
About Lantern Festival
Pacific Symphony and South Coast Chinese Cultural Center join in presenting this free family-friendly festival to commemorate the end of the Lunar New Year celebration with music, dance, art making, riddles, and food. The concert hall lobby becomes transformed for the festivities with floating lanterns and the Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall is opened up to the public for performances featuring local music and dance groups. The event draws thousands of people from Orange County and beyond for this festive celebration of arts and culture.
Eligibility and Selection
The Festival Orchestra is geared toward high school and college age students and intermediate/advanced avocational (non-professional) adult musicians. Participants will be selected based upon their musicianship and the composition of the ensemble.
Applicant criteria includes:
• Applicants must play a string instrument (violin, viola, cello, or bass)
• Applicants must be at least 14 years of age
• Applicants should be able to play the repertoire sample
• Applicants must submit an application and a recording by the deadline to be considered
• Applicants must be students or avocational (non-professional) musicians; union musicians are not eligible to apply
The Lantern Festival Orchestra application is open to any non-professional musician who meets the above criteria, regardless of race or ethnicity.
Submit a self-made recording of yourself playing the provided excerpt.
In order to help cover the costs of coaching, music, and facilities, participants will be asked to contribute a one-time $125 participant fee. Pacific Symphony provides financial aid and payment plans for those who are unable to pay the full participant fee.
Fees must be paid by January 8 unless other arrangements are made.
Accepted participants must be able to commit to the entirety of the program, except in the case of emergencies or pre-arranged absences (including for community or school ensemble rehearsals).
• November 13, 2023 Application deadline
• December 11, 2023 Notification of application status sent
• January 8, 2024 Fee deadline
• January 22, 2024 Rehearsal 1, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
• January 29, 2024 Rehearsal 2, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
• February 8, 2024 Rehearsal 3, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
• February 15, 2024 Rehearsal 4, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
• February 27, 2024 Rehearsal 5, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
• March 1, 2024 FRIDAY Dress Rehearsal, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
• March 2, 2024 PERFORMANCE: Pacific Symphony Lantern Festival (Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall), 12:30 p.m.
To learn more about the program, please click here.